Friday, September 12, 2008

Experimenting with Gadgets

One of DIVAS project objectives is to have a link between DIVAS community of practice and HIVE repository to enable the documents to be searched using Ning platform.

While I was looking into Ning I noticed a new function called “Gadget”. OpenSocial gadgets are applications written for OpenSocial which should work equally well on all compliant social networks. Thus, instead of writing one application for MySpace and another for Ning, you can write the application once and deploy it on many different networks.

I thought this could be the start towards the linkage between HIVE and Ning

I recognised that Ning allows us to import OpenSocial gadgets from its library. It also enables the devlopers to create their own gadgets, I have created my first gadget as shown below

I have saved the file as an .xml and uploaded it to a web server






I Then copied the URL of my file and went to the Gadget area in My Page on Ning, named the gadget Hamza’s gadget and pasted the URL link in the URL text box



The outcome is simple at this stage. However it shows that information can be transferred or linked from an XML file residing on an external web server to Ning Platform.